Thandai powder is made with a special mix of Indian nuts, seeds and spices. It is then used to make a cold milk drink. This aromatic and refreshing drink is very popular in Northern India especially during the Hindu festival season like Holi or Shivaratri @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 0 mins
YIELDS: Makes 1 jar
- Almonds ½ cup
- Pistachios ¼ cup
- Cashews ½ cup
- Green cardamom 25
- Melon seeds (charmagaz) 2 tbsp
- Dried rose 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds 2 tbsp
- Poppy seeds 2 tbsp
- Black peppercorns 1 tsp
- Saffron a few strands
- Nutmeg 1 tsp
- Add all the ingredients to a grinder.
- Use the PULSE feature to grind. Cool the mixture in between.
- Store in an airtight container.
Do not over grind the nuts. Take your time with the process. Over grinding will start to release the natural oil in the nuts and the mixture will become sticky.
Since I am lactose intolerant I used Lactaid milk to make the thandai drink. Plant based milk like soy, almond, rice milk or oat milk can be used too.
To Make Thandai
- Heat 1 cup of milk till warm. Add 2 tsp of thandai powder.
- Add 2 tsp of sugar and a couple of drops of rose water. Stir till combined.
- Garnish with crushed rose petals. Serve chilled.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!