I first had this salad a couple of years ago when we went to R’s colleague’s house. You know when you eat something really delicious but are hesitant to ask for the recipe because it’s not tactful or appropriate and you’re not close enough so in case the answer is no that would make things awkward- well it was that kind of a situation. So my senses were on high alert- every bite I took, every fruit I ate, I was taking mental notes of how to recreate it. I’ve made this a few times since then so I thought it was high time I put pen to paper and wrote this recipe out. The key thing about this recipe is you have to use very good quality firm fruits- not really the overripe, juicy kind but the ones that still have a bite into them. The result is well worth it, so keep reading @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 20 mins
COOK TIME: 4
For the Salad
- Spring Greens
- Blackberries as needed
- Strawberries as needed, cut in quarters
- Dried cranberries a small handful
- Goat cheese as needed, crumbled
- Candied Walnuts (recipe below)
For the Candied Walnuts
- Walnut halves 1 cup
- Granulated sugar ¼ cup
- Unsalted butter 1 tbsp
For the Honey Mustard Dressing
- Honey 4 tbsp
- Dijon Mustard 1 tbsp
- Yellow mustard 1 tbsp
- Cayenne pepper 1 tsp
- Onion powder 2 tsp
- Garlic powder 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper 2 tsp
Making the Candied Walnuts
- Toast the walnuts on a pan on medium heat for a few minutes till toasty and aromatic. Cool completely.
- In a pan heat the sugar. Keep the heat to low. Let it melt till it caramelizes.
- Pour the sugar on the roasted walnuts. Mix immediately while the sugar is hot.
- Spread the mixture on a tray lined with parchment paper that has been greased with butter.
- Let it cool. Break into pieces.
Making the Honey Mustard Dressing
Combine all the ingredients of the dressing. Mix to a smooth consistency. Keep aside.
Assembling the Salad
- In a large salad bowl add the spring greens. Add the dried cranberries, chopped strawberries and blackberries.
- Add the crumbled goat cheese and the caramelized walnuts.
- Drizzle the honey mustard dressing on the salad. Serve immediately.
Use firm fruits.
If you are running short of time, you can use readymade honey mustard dressing but this dressing is so easy to make, do try it sometime!
You will not need all the candied walnuts. Store the remaining nuts in an airtight container. They taste delicious on their own too.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!