Vegetable Upma is easy, simple and delicious. You can use a ton of vegetables to make it super healthy too. The best way to get vegetables in this meal is the mixed vegetable I get from the freezer section. I like to serve this with some fresh pomegranate. That crunch and burst is exactly what makes this dish even better. Of course if you don’t have fresh pomegranate this dish is absolutely delicious either way too @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
- Semolina 1 cup
- Mixed vegetables (carrot, sweetcorn, green beans, peas) 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Ghee 2 tbsp
- Asafetida a pinch
- Juice of one lemon
- Peanuts a small handful
- Cashews a small handful
- Chana Dal 2 tbsp
- Urad dal 2 tbsp
- Onion 1, chopped
- Ginger 1 tbsp, grated
- Curry leaves a small handful
- Dry red chilies 3
- Green chilies 4, chopped
- Mustard seeds 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds 2 tsp
- Coriander leaf 3 tbsp, chopped
- Pomegranate for garnish
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil. Add asafetida, dry red chilies, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chana dal, urad dal, peanuts and cashews. Saute on medium flame for a minute or so till aromatic. Take care not to burn anything.
- Add chopped onion. Cook the onion till translucent. Add the mixed vegetables and grated ginger.
- Cook for a few minutes on medium heat till the vegetables soften. Season with salt. Add green chilies.
- Add 3 ½ cups of water. Let it come to a boil.
- Pour the semolina into the mixture while vigorously stirring to make sure there are no lumps. Cover and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Add ghee and chopped coriander leaf. Cover for a couple of minutes before serving.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh pomegranate.
Frozen mixed vegetables work really well to increase the fiber content of the meal.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!