I absolutely LOVE Chinese dumplings. I’m not sure about the difference between dumplings, potsticker, gyoza etc. All I know is, if a restaurant has it, I will order it. A lot of the times though they taste like the pre-made store bought things that are just cooked and served. There aren’t many places (except the authentic ones of course ) where they make them from scratch and yes, it is an absolute art no doubt about that! I get mesmerized by all the beautiful ways of folding a dumpling I see online and also in books of Asian cooking. This is my humble tribute and although in terms of folding it is no way perfect, trust me, the taste is bomb!! @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 50 mins
COOK TIME: 10 mins
YIELDS: Makes 55 small potstickers
For the Dough
- Flour 2 ½ cups
- Salt 1 tsp
- Boiling water ⅔ cup
- Ice water ⅓ plus 4 tbsp
For the Filling
- Mince pork 16 oz
- Garlic 2 tbsp, grated
- Ginger 1 tbsp, grated
- Soy sauce 3 tbsp
- Shaoxing wine 1 tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil 1 tbsp
- Cornstarch 2 tsp
- White pepper 2 tsp
- Soy sauce 2 tbsp
- Rice vinegar 2 tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil 1 tbsp
- Chili oil 1 tbsp
Making the Dumpling Wrapper
- In a bowl add the flour and salt. Add the boiling water. Use chopsticks to combine till it resembles a crumble.
- Add the ice cold water. Mix to form a dough. This will take 7-8 mins to make into a smooth, pliable dough.
- Cover and keep the dough with a wet towel and cling wrap.
Making the Filling
- In a bowl add pork mince, grated garlic, grated ginger, soy sauce, shaoxing wine, toasted sesame oil, cornstarch and white pepper. Mix to combine.
Making the Dumplings
- Divide the dough into 3 portions. Keep the two portions covered while you’re working on the first one.
- Roll the dough into a large thin round. Cut into circles with a cookie cutter or any round cutter.
- Take a small portion of the filing and put in the center of the dough round. Fold in half. Pinch the top with your fingers and make sure both ends are closed. Repeat for the rest of the rounds.
Making the Dipping Sauce
- Add all the ingredients of the dipping sauce. Keep aside.
Frying the Dumplings
- Heat ⅓ cup of water.
- In a pan add 1 tbsp of oil. Place the dumplings in a layer. Sauté for a couple of minutes till brown in all sides.
- Add the water and quickly cover. Cook for 4-5 mins till done.
- Serve the dumplings with the Dipping Sauce.
For a quicker version store bought wonton wrappers may be used.
These freeze really well. First, place them on a parchment paper lined tray so they do not touch each other. Pop them in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer the potstickers to a ziplock bag and store in the freezer. Steam or panfry straight from the freezer!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.