My son loves fish and cod is one fish that does not need too much flavoring. It tastes best when you keep it simple. You can poach, grill, bake, broil or deep-fry cod. Take care not to overcook the fish. The thick flaky meat makes for juicy, bite-sized pieces. It has a subtle mild taste which makes it a versatile ingredient to use in cooking. Low in saturated fats and high levels of omega 3 fatty acids, it is a good substitute for other meat-based proteins. Cod is also a great source of phosphorus, selenium, niacin, vitamin B6 and B-12 @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins plus frying
YIELDS: Makes 9
Poaching the Fish
- Cod 3 filets
- Bay leaves 2-3
- Fennel seeds 2 tsp
- Black peppercorns 2 tsp
- Poached Fish (from above)
- Boiled potatoes 1 cup
- Himalayan pink salt to taste
- Black pepper 2 tsp
- Garlic powder 2 tsp
- Mayonnaise 2 tbsp
- Lemon zest 2 tsp
- Parsley 3 tbsp, chopped
- Panko breadcrumbs ¼ cup
- Oil for frying
- Fill a pan with water. Add bay leaves, whole black peppercorns, fennel seeds and salt. Let the water come to a gentle simmer.
- Wrap the fish fillet in cling film tightly. Drop the fish parcels in the simmering water. Cook the fish gently over low heat for 10-15 mins depending on how thick the fillet is till the fish is no longer clear but is opaque.
- Take the fish out of the parcels. Place on a serving plate. Cool slightly.
- Add boiled potatoes, Himalayan pink salt, black pepper, garlic powder, chopped parsley and lemon zest. Add Panko breadcrumbs. Add mayonnaise to the mixture.
- Mix everything together. Divide into equal portions. Make into patties.
- Heat oil. Fry the fish cakes till golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with tartar sauce or on a bed of Creamed Sweetcorn.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.