Bengali Pulao can be ‘shada’ (white pulao without turmeric) or Mishti Pulao which has a golden hue that comes from the use of turmeric. Shada Pulao is subtle in its flavor with a hint of Bengali Garam Masala and sweet with its use of cashews and raisins. Traditionally govindabhog, which is a short grained rice, is used for this recipe but I’ve used basmati here instead. This is a relatively easy recipe compared to all the pulaos and biryanis that are part of Indian cuisine. It tastes best with a curry especially mangsho or goat meat @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 20 mins
- Basmati rice 1 cup
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- Frozen mixed vegetables (carrot, green beans, peas, corn) 2 cups
- Bay leaf 1, broken
- Green cardamom 3
- Cloves 4
- Cinnamon 1 inch
- Salt to taste
- White pepper powder 2 tsp
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Ginger juiced 1 tbsp
- Garam masala powder (cloves, cinnamon and green cardamom) 2 tsp
- Cashews a handful
- Raisins a handful
- Ghee 2 tbsp
- Rinse basmati rice a few times till the water runs clear. Keep aside.
- Grate the ginger and squeeze the juice. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp of oil and sauté the cashews till golden. Keep aside. Add the rest of the vegetable oil. Add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and green cardamom. Sauté a few seconds till aromatic.
- Add mixed vegetables. Sauté for a few minutes . Add drained rice. Add salt, sugar and white pepper powder. Add in Garam masala powder. Sauté for a minute.
- Add ginger juice and 2 cups of water. Turn the heat to low and cover. Cook for 11-12 mins till the rice is completely done.
- Add in sautéd cashews and raisins.
- Add in ghee and gently mix without breaking the grains of the rice.
- Cover for a few mins before serving.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.