Mushrooms cooked in cream and milk and flavored with freshly ground spices is so delicious you will love this recipe. It is also a one pot recipe so no stress with clean up afterwards either. Who doesn’t like that, right? Adjust the heat of the spices to your liking and you have a superb dish ready within a short time that makes your guests think you’ve labored for hours! @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
- Mushrooms 16 oz
- Cinnamon 1 inch
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- Green Cardamom 2
- Cloves 3
- Salt to taste
- Sugar 2 tsp
- Mace a few strands
- Nutmeg 1 tsp
- Caraway seeds (shahi jeera) 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Carom seeds 1 tsp
- Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
- White pepper crushed 2 tsp
- Onion 1 large, chopped
- Garlic 1 tbsp
- Ginger 1 tbsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder 2 tsp
- Cashews 12-15
- Tomato paste 1 tbsp
- Tomato 1, chopped
- Dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi) 2 tsp
- Milk ½ cup
- Cream ¼ cup
- Grind cashews into a fine powder.
- Put cumin seeds, coriander seeds, carom seeds, nutmeg, mace, shahi jeera, cinnamon green cardamom and cloves in a coffee grinder. Grind into a powder.
- Heat oil. Add onions. Cook for a couple of minutes till the onion starts to caramelize.
- Add sliced mushrooms. Cook on high heat till the mushrooms lose the moisture and starts to get dry.
- Add ginger and garlic. Add tomato paste. Let it cook into the oil. Add chopped tomato. Let it cook for a couple of minutes. Use a potato masher to mash the tomatoes into the curry.
- Add dry ground masala, cashews, red chili powder and Kashmiri chili powder. Add salt and sugar.
- Pour in cream. Let the cream cook into the curry. Then add the milk. Let the mixture come to a boil.
- Crush 1 tsp kasuri methi in your hands. Add to the curry. Mix.
- Serve the mushroom malai. Crush the rest of the dried fenugreek leaves and sprinkle over the curry.
I use a coffee grinder that I have kept separate for making any fresh Indian masala.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!