One of my favorite accompaniments to tea has to be a good kebab. Nawab Asaf-ud-Dulah of Lucknow is credited with the invention of the Shammi Kebab. His loss of teeth was the basis of the creation of a dish made with minced pounded meat (queema) spiced with aromatics that was then roasted on the fire. The result was succulent, silky, juicy meat crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. This melts in your mouth with a burst of flavor from all the warm spices used @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 50 mins
YIELDS: Makes 14
- Chana Dal 1 cup
- Ground meat (chicken or lamb) 500 g
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Cinnamon 2 inches
- Whole peppercorns 1 tbsp
- Green chilies 2, chopped
- Dry red chilies 4
- Cloves 4
- Black cardamom seeds 1 tsp
- Coriander leaf 3 tbsp, chopped
- Red chili flakes 2 tsp
- Mint leaf 2 tbsp, chopped
- Ginger 1 tbsp, grated
- Garlic 1 tbsp, grated
- Coriander seeds 1 tbsp, crushed
- Pomegranate seeds 2 tsp, crushed
- Chickpea flour 2 tbsp
- Eggs 2, beaten
- Oil for pan frying
- Dry roast the chickpea flour for a few seconds. Take care not to burn. Keep aside.
- In the pressure cooker add ghee. Put in dry red chilies, black cardamom, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon and crushed coriander seeds. Let it cook for a few seconds.
- Add in soaked chana dal, ground meat, chopped mint, chopped coriander, salt, and dried or fresh mint. Add a little water just sufficient enough. Cook till done. Cool.
- Grind the mixture in the food processor till smooth.
- Add grated garlic, ginger, more fresh mint, chopped coriander, green chilies and red chili flakes.
- To the mixture add the roasted chickpea flour. Mix.
- Take portions from the mixture and make into patties.
- Heat oil. Beat the eggs.
- Dip each pattie into the beaten egg mixture. Pan fry in oil till golden on all sides. Drain on kitchen towels.
- Serve shammi kebabs with onion slices and lemon wedges.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!