This is the prime example of how the humble potato along with sweetcorn and some pantry spices makes one of the yummiest side dish. Serve this with puri or roti and you have a homemade delicious meal. Boiling the potatoes the day before definitely makes the dish easy to do on the day @sarchakra
COOK TIME: 40 mins
PREP TIME: 5 mins
YIELDS: Serves or makes 5
- Small potatoes (aloo) 1 lb
- Dry mango powder (amchur) 2 tsp
- Asafetida (hing) a pinch
- Cumin seeds (jeera) 1 tbsp
- Carom seeds (ajwain) 1 tsp
- Coriander (dhania) powder 1 tbsp
- Red chili flakes (lal mirch) 2 tsp
- Red chili powder 2 tsp
- Turmeric (haldi) 1 tbsp
- Sweet corn (makai) 1 cup
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaf (dhania patta) 2 tbsp, chopped
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- Wash potatoes. Cook them either in a pan with water till done or for one whistle in a pressure cooker. Let it cool. This step can also be done a day ahead which saves a lot of time.
- Peel potatoes and cut in quarters.
- Dry roast cumin seeds and crush them gently.
- Heat oil. Put in asafetida, crushed cumin seeds and red chili flakes. Let this sizzle.
- Add chopped potatoes. Put in salt and turmeric. Fry on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add in the sweet corn. Next, put in red chili powder, carom seeds, coriander powder, turmeric, dry mango powder. Mix the spices with the potatoes and sweet corn. Turn the heat off.
- Sprinkle ghee and coriander leaf on top. Mix. Serve.