Paneer Bhurji is scrambled Indian cheese with a medley of spices from an Indian kitchen. You can use homemade paneer for this recipe or for a super quick dish, use store bought ones. The spices you use can vary according to what you have. For example if you don’t have dried mango powder, use fresh lime or lemon juice. If you don’t have coriander leaf, mint leaf works just as well. There is no hard and fast rules here, just go with the flow. The key to this recipe is homemade ground spices. Making ground spices at home is incredibly easy and requires no expertise. For any spice you use whether it is cumin, coriander or dry red chilies, wake them up first by dry roasting them separately for a few seconds in pan. Take care not to burn anything. Cool completely before putting them in a coffee grinder (no I don’t grind coffee in it- once you use spices in a grinder, you’re pretty much going to use it for just that) and grind to a smooth powder. That is the secret to a good Indian recipe too. There is no alternative to freshly ground spices. The good news is you don’t have to do it every time you cook. They last in your kitchen drawer or pantry preferably in a cool, dry place for weeks. Best of all, you know exactly what went into those spices because you did them yourself!
This paneer recipe is very versatile and can be used as a filling to make stuffed paneer Paratha, as a sandwich filling, in a wrap etc. you get the idea 😎 @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME:15 mins
- Paneer crumbled/grated 2 cups
- Oil 1 tbsp
- Onion 1, small, chopped
- Garlic 2 tsp, grated
- Ginger 2 tsp, grated
- Bell pepper 1 cup, chopped
- Black pepper powder 2 tsp
- Red chili flakes 1 tsp
- Carom seeds 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Green chilies 3, chopped
- Garam masala powder 2 tsp
- Bay leaf 1, broken
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric 2 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder 2 tsp
- Roasted coriander powder 2 tsp
- Coriander leaf 2 tbsp, chopped plus for garnish
- Tomato 2, chopped
- Dried fenugreek leaves 1 tsp, crushed
- Crumble the paneer with your hands or grate it. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Temper the oil with broken bay leaf, cumin seeds and carom seeds. Let it cook for a few seconds.
- Add finely chopped onion. Cook for a couple of minutes till the onion is translucent.
- Add chopped garlic. Put in finely chopped mini peppers.
- Add in chopped tomato. Keep the heat to medium high. Now add the spices- salt, turmeric, black pepper powder, Garam masala powder, red chili flakes, chopped green chilies, roasted cumin powder and roasted coriander powder. Let the mixture cool for a couple of minutes.
- Add the grated ginger. Put in grated paneer. Check the seasoning and adjust accordingly. Cook this mixture till it comes together.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and crushed fenugreek leaves. Sprinkle dry mango powder. Mix. Serve with rice, roti, Paratha or poori.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!