Lamb Chops marinated with Indian spices and Greek yogurt is not only easy to make, it tastes mind blowing. The key to these delicious and succulent Tandoori Lamb Chops is trimming any excess fat and cooking no more than about 8-9 minutes. This recipe is adapted from Food and Wine @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins plus marination
COOK TIME: 8 mins
YIELDS: Makes 8
- Lamb chops 8
- Greek yogurt 5 tbsp
- Ginger 1 tbsp, grated
- Garlic 1 tbsp, grated
- Cumin powder 3 tsp
- Coriander powder 1 tbsp
- Green chili paste 2 tsp
- Kashmiri chili powder 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder 2 tsp
- Garam masala 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper 2 tsp
- Cream 3 tbsp
- Vinegar 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Mace 1 tsp
- Nutmeg 1 tsp
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- In a large plate or bowl add Greek yogurt, grated ginger, garlic, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, Kashmiri chili powder, green chili paste, Garam masala, cream, vinegar, mace, nutmeg, lemon juice and a little salt. Mix into a smooth consistency.
- Pat the lamb chops dry with a paper towel. Trim any excess fat off the lamb chops. Score the lamb pieces with a sharp knife. Rub the masala paste on the lamb chops and marinate for a few hours at least or better still, overnight.
- Take out the meat at least 30 mins before cooking. Mix in the remaining oil.
- Heat a cast iron pan. Season immediately before cooking the lamb chops with salt.
- Cook the lamb chops 4 mins on each sides till seared.
- Brush with ghee and cook for a minute or so. Turn the heat off.
If not using the grill, a cast iron pan is the next best option for that smoky charred action.
I added the entire mixture to the cast iron pan because I didn’t want to waste any of the deliciousness of the marinating spices but if you prefer, you can just lift the chops up from the marinating mixture if grilling.
Use a digital meat thermometer to check the doneness. Lamb chops are rare at 120°F, medium rare at 125°F, medium at 130°F and well done at 145°F and higher. Take care to not cook past medium as the meat starts to taste gamey.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.