This is a super easy recipe and tastes so good. I grew up with my Mum using Govindobhog rice for their recipe but that’s not available here in the US. The closest thing we have here is Kalijeera rice from Bangladesh available from Indian groceries. It has a wonderful fragrance that works as well as Govindhobhog rice @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
YIELDS: Serves 6
- Moong Dal 1 cup
- Kalijeera rice 2 cups
- Frozen peas 2 cups
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf 2
- Cumin seeds 1 tbsp
- Asafetida a pinch
- Tomato 1, chopped
- Ginger 2 tbsp, grated
- Ghee 1 tbsp
- Mustard oil 2 tbsp
- Dry roast Moong dal for a few minutes till aromatic. Rinse dal a couple of times.
- Rinse rice and add into the dal. Add frozen peas.
- Season with salt, turmeric, bay leaf and grated ginger.
- Pour in 6 cups of water. Stir.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle. Let the pressure release by itself.
- Heat mustard oil. Sauté cumin seeds, asafetida. Let it splutter.
- Add chopped tomato. Cook for a couple of minutes till the tomato gets cooked.
- Add in khichdi. Add some more water and check seasoning. Stir. Bring the khichdi to a boil. Serve immediately.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!