Homemade tomato soup is so delicious and is super quick to do. You can use store bought canned tomatoes or fresh ones, whatever you have at home. Serve with some fresh bread and you have a meal. This stores amazingly well either in the fridge or put in ziplock bags to freeze and use later. This serves as a great marinara sauce too if you don’t use the cream. Instead of the cream throw in a bunch of fresh basil and you have a batch of freshly made marinara. For a robust smoky flavor use fire roasted tomatoes @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 20 mins
YIELDS: Serves 3
- Tomatoes canned whole tomatoes 1 lb
- Onion 1, finely chopped
- Garlic 5 cloves, grated
- Sea salt to taste
- Sugar 2 tsp
- Black pepper 1 tbsp, crushed plus for serving
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Cream 2 tbsp
- Heat olive oil. Put in onions.
- Sauté for 3-4 mins till onions soften slightly.
- Add in garlic and pepper. Sauté for a few seconds.
- Add tomatoes, sugar and salt.
- Cook for 10 mins covered.
- Add cream.
- Use a hand blender to blend to a smooth consistency.
- Tomato soup is ready. Serve with some more freshly crushed pepper.
- I love to serve the soup with bread.