This is a delicious accompaniment for all the dosas, uttampams and idlis you make. The potatoes are mashed and cooked with South Indian spices with Channa dal, urad dal, mustard seeds and curry leaves for those wonderful flavors to permeate in the mixture. it is easy and absolutely delicious. You can stuff the dosa with the potato mixture or serve it separately. This potato mixture works equally well as a sandwich, wrap or a puri @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 30 mins
YIELDS: Serves 5
- Potatoes 3
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves a small handful
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Chana Dal (Bengal gram) 1 tbsp
- Urad Dal (Split Urad) 1 tsp
- Dry Red chilies 3
- Cumin seeds 2 tsp
- Asafetida a pinch
- Onion 1, small, chopped
- Green chilies 2, chopped
- Tomato 1, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric 2 tsp
- Ginger 1 tbsp, grated
- Coriander leaf 4 tbsp, freshly chopped
- Lemon juice ½ a lemon
- Cut potatoes in half. Put potatoes in the pressure cooker with 2 cups of water. Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Drain the water out.
- Mash the potatoes with a masher. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Temper the oil with mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafetida, urad dal, Chana dal, curry leaves and dry red chilies. Cook for a few seconds till aromatic.
- Add in chopped onion and tomato. Sauté on high heat. Add in mashed potatoes, green chilies, salt, turmeric and grated ginger. Mix everything.
- Add 1 cup of water. Add chopped coriander. Turn the heat off.
- Squeeze in fresh lemon juice and stir.
Boil the potatoes a day before to make this recipe even quicker.