Poha or flattened rice with onions is a very popular dish in India especially for breakfast or lunch. It is a healthy and nutritious dish considering the little oil you use in the entire dish. You can make it healthier by increasing the amount of vegetables you add in it. This time I used only peas but any vegetable works. @sarchakra
COOK TIME: 20 mins
PREP TIME: 10 mins
YIELDS: Serves or makes 3-4
- Poha 1 cup
- Onion 1 small finely chopped
- Green chilies 2 finely chopped
- Curry leaves 10
- Potato 1 cubed very small
- Frozen peas 1 cup
- Turmeric 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder 1 tbsp
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tbsp
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- Asafetida a pinch
- Cashews 2 tbsp
- Lemon juice 2 tbsp
- Coriander leaf 3 tbsp finely chopped
- Wash poha with water, drain. Mix salt, turmeric, red chili powder, sugar into the poha. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil. Cook potatoes till golden. Keep aside.
- In the remaining oil fry the cashews for a minute or two. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil. Temper with cumin seeds, asafetida, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add onions and cook till soft. Add green chilies, sautéd potatoes, peas, poha and a little bit of water. Adjust salt. Cover and cook for about 3-4 mins.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice, cashews and chopped coriander.