This Chocolate Torte is perfect for not only the chocoholic in your family, it satiates easily so good for those who like me, eat desserts sparingly. It is sweet but not overwhelmingly so. The dark chocolate makes it slightly bitter and there is no fussy amounts of icing to scrape through. It is a perfect accompaniment to a cup of coffee @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 20 mins
COOK TIME: 45 mins
YIELDS: Makes 8-10 slices
- Unsalted butter 1 ½ sticks (12 tbsp), cut into small pieces, plus more for the pan
- Bittersweet chocolate 12 oz
- Eggs 6
- Vanilla extract 1 tsp
- All purpose flour 1 tbsp
- Granulated sugar ¾ cup
- Sea salt ¼ tsp
- Unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Lightly butter the bottom and side of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Combine the chocolate and 1 ½ sticks butter in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water (do not let the bowl touch the water). Stir until melted and combined. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and let cool slightly.
- Combine the eggs, sugar and salt in a large mixing bowl. Use the whisk attachment in the electric mixer to beat on medium-high speed until pale and thick. This should take about 5 to 8 minutes. Do not rush the process.
- Gently fold half of the melted chocolate mixture into the egg mixture until just combined.
- Then gently fold in the rest.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan and bake until the top is no longer shiny and barely jiggles. Insert a toothpick into the center to make sure it comes out with only a few crumbs. This process takes about 35 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer the torte to a rack and let cool completely in the pan.
- Remove the springform ring. Cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours.
- When ready to serve, transfer to a platter and dust with cocoa powder.
You can use a combination of dark and milk chocolate to reduce the slight bitterness.
Use 2 tbsp of brewed espresso to bring out the intensity of the chocolate.
Use fresh berries to decorate the torte just before serving.
Alternatively, dust with confectioners sugar before serving.
You can also serve this with a dollop of vanilla ice cream with a chocolate sauce drizzle.
A springform pan makes for an easy removal. Therefore I would definitely suggest using that.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!