Couscous, made from durum wheat or semolina flour, is a staple in North African cuisines. There are three different kinds of couscous – Moroccan, Israeli and Lebanese. I have a couple of recipes of Lebanese couscous I have posted on the blog before. Check out Pearl Couscous Salad with Garlic Oil and Buddha Bowl with Pearl Couscous . Whole grain couscous is rich in vitamins like vitamin B6, thiamine and other minerals like selenium, manganese, phosphorus, magnesium and potassium. As part of a healthy diet, it can help reduce cholesterol. This recipe uses Moroccan couscous although any variety can be used. It is light and crunchy with all those delicious fresh vegetables working their magic. I make this dish a lot as it not only tastes delicious, it is equally wonderful as a great cold lunch to eat in a day or two. You can of course change up not only the type of vegetables you use but also the ratio of the vegetables to make it even healthier @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 15 mins
COOK TIME: 3 mins
For the Couscous
- Couscous 6 oz
- Salt to taste
- Dried parsley 2 tsp
- Olive oil 1 tbsp
The Vegetables, Nuts, Herbs and Cheese
- Garbanzo beans 15.5 oz (1 can)
- Mini Cucumber 2
- Onion 1, medium or ½ a large
- Roma Tomato 1
- Green bell pepper 1
- Fresh Parsley a handful
- Feta cheese 4 tbsp
- Raisins a small handful
- Pecans a small handful
For the Dressing
- Olive oil 3 tbsp
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pomegranate vinegar 1 tbsp
- Garlic 3 cloves, finely grated
- Honey 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper 2 tsp
- In a small pan put in 1 ½ cups of water. Add olive oil, dried parsley and salt. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat off.
- Add couscous and stir. Keep it covered for 5 mins.
- After 5 mins fluff the couscous with a fork. Pour in a large serving bowl.
- Rinse a can of garbanzo beans. Prep the salad ingredients: chop onion, tomato, parsley, bell pepper and cucumber.
- Zest the lemon. Grate the garlic. In a small bowl add lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, black pepper, salt, honey and pomegranate vinegar.
- Mix the ingredients of the dressing gently. Keep aside.
- Pour garbanzo beans on top of the couscous.
- Add the vegetables to the couscous.
- Sprinkle raisins and chopped pecans.
- Add crumbled feta cheese on top.
- Pour the dressing on the couscous and vegetables.
- Mix gently and serve.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.
Thanks for sharing
What a lovely salad!
Thanks so much 🙏 I love salads with fresh veggies. This keeps you full for a long time too.
LikeLiked by 1 person