I’ve joined in the Tiktok hype of Crinkle Cake as the rest of the world and their dog! The crispy, crunchy layers of phyllo pastry is buttery smooth because- well there’s a lot of butter that goes into it. First introduced by the TikToker @ramena this recipe is easy and delicious. Based on the middle eastern dessert Muakacha (moo-ah-ka-cha) meaning ‘wrinkled’ in Arabic, this dish traditionally uses pistachios and rose water- flavors very familiar and widely used in Indian desserts as well. I love orange flavor too so I added some fresh orange peel to give that extra punch of flavor. That said, look away now if you’re into any low carb sugar-free diet! @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 50-55 mins
- Phyllo dough 8 oz (defrosted in the fridge)
- Unsalted Butter 2 sticks
- Eggs 2
- Sugar 2 cups, divided
- Almond milk 1 cup
- Vanilla extract 2 tsp
- Orange peel a few
- Rose water 2 tsp
- Lemon juice 1 tsp, freshly squeezed
- Toasted Pistachios for garnish
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Take 2 sheets of phyllo pastry at a time. Fold the sheets crinkling up as you go like an accordion and place in the baking dish. Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 10 mins.
- Put 2 sticks of butter in the microwave at 30 second intervals till melted. Pour the melted butter on the phyllo pastry dough. Place it back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
- In a bowl add 1 cup of granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and almond milk. Mix with a whisk till the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the custard on the phyllo dough and bake this for another 30- 35 mins till golden and crunchy.
- While that is cooking prepare the syrup. In a pan add 1 cup of sugar and ½ cup of water. To that add lemon juice, some orange peel and rose water. Bring the mixture to a simmer till the syrup is to one string consistency.
- Pour the syrup on the phyllo dough as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios.
- Cool completely before slicing into squares.
I’ve used half of the phyllo pastry dough. If using full, adjust the other ingredients accordingly.
The good news is that this is a very forgiving recipe. Don’t worry if the phyllo is not perfectly placed. It still tastes amazing and does not make the blindest bit of difference to the end result!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.