One of my absolute favorite cakes is an orange cake. It is light, fresh and airy. It is almost like a pound cake but without the crazy amount of butter and you’ve guessed it, this cake has no butter at all. There’s no heavy ganache, no overloading of chocolate- I guess you understand by now that I’m not terribly fond of chocolate cakes at all. I do make them once in a while because my family loves it but I hardly ever taste them. But this orange cake is something else. Funny enough I’m not the only one who eats this cake in the house either. Even the chocolate cake lovers participate with equal fervor in devouring this. The best pairing for this cake in my opinion would be a cup of tea or ginger coffee. Simply heaven ❤️ @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 45 mins
- All purpose flour 1 ¾ cup
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Salt ¾ tsp
- Eggs 3
- Extra Virgin Olive oil ¾ cup
- Brown Sugar 1 cup
- Coconut sugar 3 tbsp
- Orange extract 1 tsp
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9 inch springform pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl sift in flour, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl beat the eggs for a minute or so till frothy.
- Add in brown sugar, orange extract and orange zest. Whip on high speed till the mixture is light and foamy for about 3 mins.
- Reduce the speed to medium and slowly add in olive oil little by little till the entire amount is incorporated into a smooth and homogeneous mixture.
- Add in half of the flour mixture at this stage.
- Pour in orange juice and the rest of the flour. Mix just till incorporated. Do not over-mix at this point.
- Pour the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the coconut sugar on top.
- Bake for 45 mins till the top is golden.
- Cool slightly before taking the cake out of the pan.
Place a baking sheet on the lower rack in case of any leakage from the springform pan.
The sugar at the top gives the cake a lovely sweet thin crust.
I like to decorate it with some thinly cut orange slices.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!