The main ingredient of Teto Chocchori is bitter gourd. This recipe is pretty healthy using very little oil and as in most Bengali vegetarian recipes, the taste comes from the freshness of the vegetables. Any number of vegetables you have at hand can be used for this recipe. Panch Phoron also plays a major role in flavoring this dish. You can easily make Panch Phoron at home. Check Panch Mishali Torkari @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 25 mins
- Bitter gourd 1
- Mustard oil 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Panch phoron 1 tsp
- Wild celery seeds (radhuni) ½ tsp
- Sweet potato 1, chopped
- Potato 1, chopped
- Spinach 2 cups
- Dry Lentil dumplings (bori) a small handful
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric 2 tsp
- Cumin powder 2 tsp
- Green chilies 2
- Flour 1 tbsp
- Heat mustard oil. Add bori. Fry for a couple of minutes till golden. Push it to one side of the pan.
- Add cumin seeds, Panch Phoron and wild celery seeds. Sauté for a few seconds till aromatic.
- Add chopped bitter gourd, sweet potato and potato. Season with salt, turmeric and cumin powder. Add green chilies.
- Add in fresh spinach. Let the spinach wilt. Lower the heat, cover and cook for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins add 1 cup of water and cook covered till the vegetables are done. Add flour.
- Turn the heat up and cook till the mixture reaches desired consistency.
- Serve Teto Chocchori with rice.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!