Roti or chapati is usually made with atta or whole wheat flour. This is a healthier version with brown chick pea flour, barley, mung bean and soy bean flour. Feel free to add other grain flour you have in hand like amaranth, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, oat, spelt or farro @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 5 mins plus resting
COOK TIME: 20 mins
YIELDS: Makes 9
- Whole wheat flour (atta) 1 cup
- Roasted brown chick pea flour ¼ cup
- Barley flour ¼ cup
- Mung bean flour ¼ cup
- Soybean flour ¼ cup
- Carom seeds (ajwain)
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil 1 tbsp
- Hot water 1 cup
- In a stand mixer put in all the flours, carom seeds, salt and vegetable oil.
- Add water little by little and knead the mixture using the hook attachment. The dough should be soft and smooth.
- Rest the dough for 30 mins.
- Divide mixture into equal portions.
- Take a portion and dust with some chick pea flour. Use a rolling pin to form a round circle.
- Heat a flat griddle or pan. Dust off any leftover chick pea flour and roast the chapati on both sides. Using a tong put the chapati directly on the fire and cook both sides till it puffs up. Repeat for the rest of the dough portions.
- Fold each chapati in half and fold again. Serve with dal.
For a vegan option, substitute vegetable oil in place of ghee.
I use my kitchen worktop to roll the chapati. I do have a rolling board but honestly the worktop works absolutely fine.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.