This Red Quinoa Biryani has all the taste of a Biryani but packs a punch in terms of protein. Quinoa is gluten free and is suitable for both vegetarians and vegans. It is one of the most protein rich foods we can have. It is very high in fiber (8 g per cup) and contains all nine essential amino acids along with vitamins and minerals- iron, lysine, magnesium, riboflavin, manganese, calcium, phosphorus, Vitamin E etc. In the Inca Empire quinoa was considered to be the ‘mother of all grains’. Red quinoa has a chewy texture. This is healthy food but nutritious and tasty food. All the vegetables and spices just make it richer in taste. You can add any vegetables you have in hand. No more feeling guilty eating Biryani @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
- Red quinoa 1 cup
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Bay leaf 1, broken
- Cinnamon 1 inch, broken
- Cloves 3
- Green Cardamom 2
- Ginger paste 2 tsp
- Garlic paste 2 tsp
- Soy chunks 2 cups
- Baby Spinach
- Mixed vegetables frozen or fresh 2 cups (peas, sweetcorn, carrots, beans)
- Acorn squash 1 cup, cut into chunks
- Biryani masala 2 tbsp
- Turmeric 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Water 2 cups
- Coriander leaf 2 tbsp, chopped
- Dried mint 2 tsp
- Rinse red quinoa on a sieve. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or pan. Put in bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves. Let it cook for a few seconds.
- Add in ginger and garlic paste. Sauté till the raw smell goes.
- Add in quinoa. Toast till the grains are glistening for a couple of minutes.
- Add in mixed vegetables, squash, spinach and soy chunks. Mix everything.
- Add in Biryani masala, salt, turmeric, cumin powder and coriander powder. Sauté and mix everything.
- Add 2 cups of water. Add coriander leaf and dried mint.
- Cook till one whistle. Let the pressure release by itself.
- Serve Red Quinoa Biryani with chopped coriander.
If cooking on a stove top, quinoa is ready in about 20 minutes.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!