What better way to enjoy winter than dig into some homemade Tom Kha Gai (Thai Coconut Soup) with just a few ingredients from the pantry? Readymade store bought curry paste has a multitude of uses. Either red curry paste or Penang curry paste can be used for this recipe. I like Penang curry paste because this was made for the kids and Penang curry paste is a lot sweeter than the stronger, more pungent red curry paste flavors. In either case you can dilute the flavors with more coconut milk or a touch of brown sugar @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 15 mins
- Chicken boneless 2 cups, cut into bite sized chunks
- Chicken stock cube 1
- Panang Curry paste 1 tbsp
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Tomato paste 1 tbsp
- Coconut milk powder 4 tbsp
- Light brown sugar 1 tbsp
- Fish sauce 1 tbsp
- Water 2 cups
- Coriander leaves 2 tbsp, chopped plus for garnish
- Ginger cut into strips for garnish
- Jalapeño slices for garnish
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Heat 2 cups of water with stock cube. Let it come to a boil.
- Put in Penang curry paste.
- Add fish sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, coconut milk powder and tomato paste.
- Add chicken.
- Cook on a medium heat till chicken is done.
- Add chopped coriander.
- Garnish with some more coriander leaf, sliced ginger, jalapeños and lemon slice.
If you have some fresh lemongrass feel free to add to the soup for some extra delicious flavor. Since I was doing this for my kids o added jalapeños only as a garnish but would definitely add some mean Thai chilies for myself. They add a ton of flavor and authentic depth of richness to the dish.
You can add extra vegetables like snow peas, mushrooms and bell peppers.
I used Knorr Coconut Milk Powder but canned coconut milk works perfectly too.
Mae Ploy Penang Curry paste has shallots, galangal, kaffir lime peel, shrimp paste and red chilies which makes the work so much easier than if you were to so sauce everything yourself. This is not a sponsored post, I just love their products. They make Thai curries very achievable at home for everyone.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.