My son loves shrimp. In fact, love is an understatement. Both my kids are fussy eaters. They like completely different things and each will not eat stuff the other happily will. Ah the joys of motherhood! But this recipe seemed to be popular with both. This is a light and healthy recipe. Use fresh or canned tomatoes and any kind of tomatoes you have in hand. Serve this with linguini or any other kind of pasta, grits, polenta or rice. It stores very well in the fridge too @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 5 mins plus marination
COOK TIME: 20 mins
YIELDS: Serves 6
- Jumbo Raw Shrimp 30-40, peeled and deveined
- Olive oil 3 tbsp
- Garlic 4-5 cloves, thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Turmeric 1 tbsp
- Black peppercorns 2 tsp, crushed
- Tomato paste 1 tbsp heaped
- Finely Chopped Canned Tomato 14 oz
- Heavy cream ½ cup
- Parmesan ½ cup
- Basil fresh for garnish
- Marinate prawns in salt and turmeric for at least 20 mins.
- Heat olive oil. Sauté marinated prawns for a couple of minutes till pink. Keep aside.
- In the same oil put in garlic. Scrape the pan and mix into the garlic all that ‘prawn’ flavor. Let the garlic start to turn golden.
- Put in tomato paste. Sauté the paste well.
- Add in the finely chopped tomatoes. Stir. Season with salt, sugar and crushed black pepper.
- Pour in 1 cup of water. Simmer for 5-6 minutes. Put in the sautéd prawns.
- Mix in heavy cream. Stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- Serve with basil and freshly grated Parmesan.
I think the use of the sugar is key to balancing the flavors but you can omit it if you’d prefer.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!