Ilish or hilsa ( Tenualosa ilisha, shad), a kind of Indian herring is a freshwater fish. It is found in eleven countries around the world including Bangladesh, Pakistan and Myanmar. Ilish is the queen of all fish. For a Bengali it is love and passion. Ilish Bhaja (fried Hilsa pieces), Doi Ilish (Hilsa in a a yogurt based sauce), Ilisher Paturi (steamed Hilsa in a spicy mustard sauce), Ilisher Jhal (Hilsa in a Spicy Gravy), Ilish Machher Tel Jhol (Hilsa curry made with eggplants and nigella seeds ), Bhapa Ilish (Steamed Hilsa), Shorshe Ilish (Hilsa in a black mustard sauce)- the choices are endless. This is a very simple recipe with the taste coming from the fish itself combined with the flavor of the nigella seeds @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins plus marinate
COOK TIME:15 mins
YIELDS: Serves 3-4
- Ilish (hilsa fish) 7-8 pieces
- Eggplant 1, cut into thin slices
- Mustard oil 2 tbsp
- Nigella seeds 1 tsp
- Turmeric 2 tsp
- Green chilies 7 (adjust according to your taste)
- Rub salt and turmeric on the fish. Keep it for at least ½ hour.
- Heat mustard oil. Fry the fish for just a couple of mixtures. Keep aside.
- In the rest of the oil sauté the eggplant slices.
- Add nigella seeds and green chilies. Let it splutter.
- Add the sautéd ilish. Stir in water, salt and turmeric. Cover and cook till the fish is done.