Although shrimp and scampi are two different kinds of crustaceans, in the US the scampi is usually replaced with shrimp. Traditionally white wine is used in a scampi dish but for a teetotaler like me, that meant substituting with stock. Eat this as a simple appetizer or serve it with rice or linguine @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 10 mins
YIELDS: Serves or makes 2
- Large shrimp 12, shelled with tails on
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Butter 2 tbsp, divided
- Garlic 4-5 cloves, chopped
- Black peppercorns 1 tsp, crushed
- Chicken/vegetable stock cube 2
- Basil 3 tbsp, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Lemon slices for garnish
- Heat ½ cup water in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add the stock cubes in it and stir. Set aside.
- Heat oil and 1 tbsp butter. Sauté garlic till golden on a medium flame.
- Add stock and crushed peppercorns. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Add shrimp and chopped basil. Cook for a couple of minutes till shrimp turns pink.
- Stir 1 tbsp of butter and lemon juice. Garnish shrimp with lemon slices. Serve with rice.
Have all ingredients ready before you begin. This is a very quick recipe.
Do not overcook the shrimp. Overcooked shrimp becomes rubbery.