Homemade pizza is truly a guilt free indulgence that you can make with as many vegetables you want. My kids LOVE pizza. They wouldn’t mind having it everyday either. Once in a while I make pizza at home which becomes a good excuse for me to pile the pizza up with a ton of fresh veggies. I usually make the pizza base the night before. That way lunch is easy to get ready with just prepping the vegetables. This pizza has a base of tomato salad in sauce topped with even more veggies. If cooking for kids or adults who do not like spicy food, just omit the jalapeños @sarchakra
COOK TIME: 30 mins
PREP TIME: 15 mins
YIELDS: Serves or makes 4-5
For the pizza crust: (this will make 2 pizza crusts)
- Bread flour 3 ¼ cups
- Yeast ¾ oz
- Warm water 1 ¼ cup
- Salt 1 tsp
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Olive oil 1 tbsp plus more to coat the bowl
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a bowl combine salt, sugar and flour.
- Add yeast mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add olive oil. Keep kneading till the dough becomes smooth.
- Coat a large bowl with olive oil. Put dough in the bowl. Spread olive oil on the dough.
- Cover with a kitchen towel for 2 hours. Divide dough into 2 portions. Cover with towel again. Let it rest for 20 mins.
- Press dough into pizza pans. Let it rest for 20 mins before topping with the rest of the ingredients.
For the Base Salad:
- Tomatoes 1, finely chopped
- Onion 1, finely chopped
- Jalapeño 1, chopped
- Garlic 1, finely chopped
- Coriander 2 tbsp chopped
- Crushed tomatoes 1 can
- Cilantro 1 tbsp
- Crushed black pepper 2 tsp
Mix the above ingredients and let it rest for an hour.
For the toppings:
- Broccoli shavings 2 tbsp
- Medley tomatoes 6 oz, halved
- Red onions 1, sliced
- Capote peppers 2 tbsp
- Pickled jalapeños 2 tbsp
- Pepper jack cheese 6 tbsp, divided
- Mushrooms 4-5, sliced
- Parsley 3 tbsp, divided
- Heat the oven to 425°.
- Place chopped salad on the base of the pizza. Top with sliced red onions, 4 tbsp pepper jack cheese, capote peppers, pickled jalapeños, medley tomatoes, mushrooms and 2 tbsp parsley.
- Bake pizza for 25-30 mins.
- Serve with shaved broccoli, 1 tbsp chopped parsley and a sprinkle of 2 tbsp of cheese.