This vegan White Bean & Parsley Hummus is creamy, delicious and ready pretty quickly especially if you have meal prepped before. Soak the beans a couple of days ago and cook the beans. Refrigerate it until you are ready to make this dish. Once made, this hummus stores really well in the fridge for a couple of days. Serve this with pita bread, pita chips, tortilla chips or like here, corn tortilla chips @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins plus overnight soaking
COOK TIME: 20 mins (pressure cooker)
- Beans 2 cups (cooked, see method of cooking)
- Tahini 2 tbsp
- Turmeric 2 tsp
- Olive oil ¼ cup
- Salt to taste
- Garlic 3 cloves, grated
- Toasted cumin powder 2 tsp plus for garnish
- Smoked paprika 2 tsp plus for garnish
- Parsley 3 tbsp, chopped
- Bagel seasoning for garnish
For the Corn Tortillas
- Corn tortillas 6
- Oil for frying
- Soak the white beans overnight with lots of water. It really helps the cooking process. Next morning rinse the beans again. Add 3-4 cups of water, salt and turmeric. Pressure cook the beans for 3 whistles. Let it cool completely after the pressure releases by itself. Omit this step if using canned beans.
- In the Vitamix add the cooked beans, tahini, olive oil, salt, garlic, toasted cumin powder, parsley and smoked paprika. Blitz for a few mins till smooth and creamy.
- Serve the hummus in a bowl. Garnish with some more toasted cumin powder, smoked paprika and bagel seasoning.
For the Corn Tortillas
- In the microwaveable plate put 3 corn tortillas. Microwave for 50 -60 seconds. Cut each corn tortilla into 4 pieces. Repeat for the remaining tortillas. Leave it to dry for 5 mins.
- Heat oil. Fry the corn tortilla chips till crunchy. Drain on kitchen towels.
I avoid canned beans unless I’m really rushed for time and have either a) forgotten to soak the beans or b) need a quick dish asap. The reason being the same as I feel about all canned items- how long ago was it packaged and what was added to it to make it last that long. However if you only cook with canned beans, there’s no judgment- do what works best for you.
I used 2 cups of cooked beans for this dish and used the rest to make a Bean Curry (recipe coming soon).
Cooked beans can be stored in the fridge for a few days and in the freezer for a long time. It freezes really well. Use it for a quick and healthy rice and beans, mashed beans in a wrap or a bean salad.
The turmeric gives a beautiful golden hue to the dish and turmeric is full of goodness too.
Make sure the garlic is grated so that it gets evenly distributed into the humus. You don’t want to bite into a chunk of garlic.
This recipe works with lima beans too.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!