One of the most popular Indo-Chinese dishes is Kolkata Style Chili Chicken. It is a spiced up version of battered chicken fried with green chilies, red chili paste and tomato ketchup that is spicy and stimulates and wakes your taste buds right up! Traditionally the chicken is deep fried but this recipe uses a fraction of that oil without compromising the taste. The best part- its ready within 20 mins @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 10 mins
- Boneless chicken 1lb , cut into small pieces
- Green bell pepper ½, cut into chunks
- Shallots a few, cut into chunks
- Ginger paste 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste 1 tbsp
- Garlic 1 tbsp, minced
- White pepper 2 tsp, divided
- Red Chili paste 2 tsp
- Red chili powder 2 tsp
- Light soy sauce 3 tbsp, divided
- Dark soy sauce 1 tbsp
- Brown sugar 2 tsp
- Water 2 tbsp
- Cornstarch 4 tbsp
- Avocado oil 3 tbsp
- Green onions 4 tbsp, chopped
- Vinegar 1 tbsp
- Tomato ketchup 1 tbsp
- Green chilies 6-7
- In a large bowl put the chicken. Add garlic paste, ginger paste, red chili powder, 2 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tsp white pepper and chili paste. Marinate for 30 mins.
- Add cornstarch and water and mix to coat the chicken with the batter.
- Heat oil. Fry the chicken pieces in batches till golden. Keep aside.
- While the chicken is frying in a small bowl add 1 tbsp light soy sauce, 1 tsp white pepper, vinegar, dark soy sauce, brown sugar and tomato ketchup.
- In the remaining oil, add the minced garlic. Cook for a few seconds. Add the whites of the green onions, shallots and green bell pepper. Stir fry on high heat. Do not overcook. The veggies should still have the crunch.
- Add the fried chicken, green chilies and the prepared sauce.
- Mix a little cornstarch in the bowl with 2 tbsp of water and make a slurry. Pour into the chicken and veggies.
- Cook for a couple of minutes till the sauce coats the chicken. Add the green onion tops and stir once more. Chili Chicken is ready.
- Serve Chili Chicken with rice or noodles.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!