Phulkopir (cauliflower) Khichuri is a popular dish in Bengali families especially made during religious occasions like Saraswati Puja, Durga Puja etc. It is Bengali comfort food at its best. Traditionally govindobhog rice is used to make it. In the US a flavor close to govindobhog is kalijeera rice @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME:15 mins
YIELDS: Serves 6
- Mung Dal 1 cup
- Kalijeera rice 1 cup
- Mustard oil 3 tbsp
- Ghee 2 tbsp
- Sugar 1 tbsp
- Cauliflower florets 2 cups
- Peas ½ cup
- Carrots ½ cup
- Tomato 1, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric 1 tbsp
- Bay leaf 2
- Dry red chilies 2
- Asafetida a pinch
- Cumin seeds 1 tbsp
- Cloves 3
- Cinnamon 1 inch
- Green Cardamom 2, crushed
- Black cardamom 1, crushed
- Ginger 1 tbsp, grated
- Coconut 2 tbsp
- Roasted cumin seed powder 2 tsp
- Red chili powder 2 tsp
- Bengali Garam masala powder 2 tsp
- Ghee to serve
- Dry roast mung Dal for a few mixtures on a medium flame till aromatic. Take care not to burn the grains. Let it cool slightly. Rinse the dal and keep aside.
- Heat mustard oil in the pan. Add in bay leaf, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, green cardamom, black cardamom, dry red chilies and asafetida.
- Add cauliflower florets. Add in carrots and grated ginger. Season with you salt, turmeric, red chili powder and roasted cumin powder. Sauté.
- Add chopped tomato and coconut. Mix everything together. Add in rinsed dal, washed rice, salt, Garam masala powder and sugar.
- Add in 2 tbsp of ghee and 5 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for one whistle. Release the pressure after a minute so the rice doesn’t overcook.
- Serve with another dollop of ghee.
This dish is served best with Phulkopir Torkari and some Begun Bhaja.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.