Eating healthy does not have to be boring at all, don’t you agree? This Cajun Tofu and Red Quinoa Buddha Bowl is so good you will feel you’re actually indulging yourself! It is savory, sweet, crunchy, smoky with a hint of spice- just what a multilayered food should be like. Try this and tell me if you agree @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 20 mins
YIELDS: Serves 4
For the Tofu
- Tofu 16 oz
- Cornstarch ½ cup
- Chili powder 2 tsp
- Black pepper 1 tsp
- Sea salt 2 tsp
- Paprika 2 tsp
- Cumin powder 1 tsp
- Garlic powder 2 tsp
- Onion powder 2 tsp
- Thyme 1 tsp
- Avocado oil for pan frying
For the Buddha Bowl
- Red quinoa 1 cup
- Avocado oil 3 tbsp
- Yellow pepper ½ cup, thinly sliced
- Orange pepper ½ cup, thinly sliced
- Carrot ½ cup
- Baby Lima beans ½ cup
- Sugar snap peas ¼ cup
- Mini Cucumber 3, cut into rounds
- Mixed greens 1 cup
- Cherry tomatoes halved
- Marinated olives a handful, cut in half
- Roasted Pepitas for garnish
- White sesame seeds for garnish
- Black sesame seeds for garnish
- Parsley torn for garnish
- Lemon wedge for serving
- Asian Sesame dressing for drizzle
- Squeeze any extra water out of the tofu. Wrap tofu block in kitchen towels and press a heavy pan. Keep it for 20 mins or so till all the water had completely drained out. Cut tofu in big chunks.
- In a plate combine cornstarch, chili powder, black pepper, sea salt, paprika, cumin, garlic, onion and thyme. Mix. Roll tofu in cornstarch mixture. Coat each on both sides. Repeat till all the tofu is coated.
- Heat avocado oil. Pan fry tofu in batches till crispy on both sides. Drain fried tofu on kitchen towels.
- Rinse red quinoa under running water on a sieve. Put in a pan. Add 2 cups of water. Let it come to a boil. Cover and cook for 15 mins. Rinse under water in a sieve again. Put the quinoa back in the pan and keep it till it fluffs up in 15 mins or so.
- Put carrots and baby lima beans in a half a cup of water and pop it in the microwave for 2 mins. Discard the water and reserve the vegetables.
- In a large bowl put in ½ cup of red quinoa. On a bed of mixed greens arrange the thinly sliced yellow peppers, mini cucumber, orange peppers, carrots, sugar snap peas, baby Lima beans, olives, cherry tomatoes and parsley.
- Drizzle with avocado oil. Top with pan fried tofu steaks.
- Sprinkle white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, roasted pepitas and a lemon wedge.
- Drizzle with Asian Sesame dressing. Stir and enjoy!
For one bowl I used about ½ cup of quinoa. So one cup of dried quinoa would make a few bowls.
I used crinkle cut carrots and baby lima beans from the frozen section but fresh veggies are fine too.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!