Chinese Fried Rice (Yangzhou or Yang Chow) is simple, delicious, versatile and adaptable. This vegetarian dish can easily be made non vegetarian with the addition of meat, eggs, crab meat, lamb, sausage or shrimp. It can be eaten on its own or as an accompaniment to a main dish @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 10 mins
YIELDS: Serves 3
- Cooked rice 2 cups
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- Purple onion 1, finely chopped
- Garlic 2 cloves, finely grated
- Mixed vegetables, frozen, 2 cups
- Ginger 2 tsp, julienned
- Soy sauce 2 tbsp
- Oyster sauce 1 tbsp
- Toasted sesame oil 1 tbsp
- Heat vegetable oil. Sauté onion and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add mixed vegetables, ginger and a little salt. Cook for a couple of minutes on high heat.
- Add cooked rice. Pour in oyster sauce and soy sauce.
- Stir fry everything till heated through. Turn the heat off.
- Mix in roasted sesame oil. Serve.
Leftover rice makes for a great fried rice. If cooking fresh rice, keep it in the freezer for at least half an hour.
I like to use basmati rice for this recipe but jasmine or any short grain rice can be used.
Remember soy sauce has a lot of salt so go easy on any additional salt.
To make this non vegetarian add chicken or pork to the stir fry before adding the vegetables.
Don’t skip the sesame oil- it is a must!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.