Boneless chicken cooked in black bean sauce is a very popular dish in Chinese restaurants. The secret to a good sauce is the umami flavor of fermented black beans which gives that authentic taste. Fortunately these days, black beans are easily available especially in Asian food stores. Another alternative to fermented black beans would be to use black bean sauce @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME:15 mins
YIELDS: SERVES 3
- Fish sauce 1 tbsp
- Fermented black beans/black bean sauce 1 tbsp
- Sambal Olek 2 tbsp
- Soy sauce 1 tbsp
- Black pepper 2 tsp
- Fresh basil 1 tbsp
- Chicken 400 g cut in cubes
- Garlic 2 tbsp, fine chopped
- Whole red chilies 2
- Cornflour 1 tsp
- Sesame oil 1 tbsp
- In 1 tbsp oil sauté garlic, and whole red chilies.
- Add in chicken and stir fry on high heat.
- Add in sambal olek, soy sauce, black pepper, black bean sauce and fish sauce.
- Mix cornflour with a bit of water and make a paste.
- Add to chicken, cook a couple of mins till the mixture thickens.
- Sprinkle torn basil leaves and serve.