Burrata is made from cow’s milk and has an outer casing of solid cheese with a creamy, buttery soft interior. It was first crafted in the 1920s in a farmhouse close to Castel del Monte by local cheesemaker Lorenzo Bianchino Chieppa in Italy’s Apulia region (Murgia territory). It originated in an effort to minimize food waste to make use of leftovers from the cheesemaking process of mozzarella. There was no refrigeration at the time so the fatty cream would protect the mozzarella inside the pouch.
It is not always that one finds Burrata in a local grocery haul. Either there isn’t enough supply of it or it is hugely popular so it gets sold earlier on in the day. Whatever the reason, when I found it, I sure was going to bring it home. The good news about this appetizer is how ridiculously simple it is to put together. Of course you can make it slightly complicated but sometimes simple is absolutely fine too @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 5 mins
COOK TIME: 10-12 mins
- Burrata 2x 4 oz
- Sea salt to taste
- Sugar 1 tsp
- Black pepper 2 tsp, cracked
- Smoked paprika 2 tsp plus for garnish
- Reduced balsamic dressing for drizzle
- Basil freshly torn plus chopped
- Bread cut into rounds
- Olive oil 2 tbsp plus for drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the bread rounds on a baking tray. Drizzle olive oil generously. Bake for 10-12 mins till golden and crunchy.
- Place Burrata on a serving plate. Gently slice open the Burrata. Season with salt, sugar, pepper, smoked paprika.
- Drizzle reduced balsamic dressing. Top with chopped basil. Arrange the rest of the basil on the serving plate.
- Sprinkle a little extra smoked paprika.
- Serve baked bread with Burrata.
You can use cherry tomatoes either freshly cut or baked to serve with this.
I served the Burrata with some Red Cabbage Salad and Lemon Olive Oil Cake as a sweet end to the lunch (recipes coming soon).
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.