One easy and delicious way of eating sweet potatoes must be the Southern way! Having lived in Atlanta for years, sweet potato, polenta, grits, cornbread, pecan pie were a few of the items I was introduced to that were delectable to say the very least. Needless to say, before we moved to the US for good in 2008 from UK, I didn’t have much of a clue as to how delicious these dishes could be! Cinnamon, brown sugar and butter forms the basis of the flavors that goes into this dish. It is decadent and hard to resist! This is a great recipe for Thanksgiving and the holiday season too @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 50 mins
- Sweet potatoes 2
- Ground cinnamon 2 tsp
- Ground ginger 1 tsp
- Water ¼ cup
- Brown sugar ½ cup
- Vanilla extract 2 tsp
- Butter ¼ cup
- Ground cinnamon 1 tsp
- Brown sugar 3 tbsp
- Cut sweet potatoes into chunks. Parboil and keep aside.
- In a pan put in brown sugar, ground ginger, water and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 mins till the sauce caramelizes and thickens to half. Turn the heat off.
- To the syrup, add vanilla extract and butter. Mix. Pour this mixture over the sweet potatoes.
- Bake uncovered in the oven for 30 mins.
- Mix the ground cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle over the baked sweet potatoes.
- Serve warm or cold.
Parboiling the sweet potatoes ensures quick cooking.
Brown sugar gives the dish a caramelized flavor. Use white sugar if that is what you have in hand.
This tastes amazing on its own or with some vanilla ice cream.
Do not completely cook the potatoes when you parboil as it would be mushy once you bake.
Do not stir the baked potatoes.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.