The first known use of the word ‘Bharta’ according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary was 1891. A traditional baigan (eggplant) bharta is often cooked with mashed potatoes along with mashed, roasted eggplant flesh. This is a healthier version adding some extra vegetables to make it colorful but also giving a bit of crunch to the otherwise soft texture of the dish @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 20 mins
YIELDS: Serves 3
- Eggplant 1
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Onion 1, thinly sliced
- Garlic 2 cloves, grated
- Tomato 1, chopped finely
- Yellow pepper ¼ cup, small chopped
- Green pepper ¼ cup, small chopped
- Red pepper ¼ cup, small chopped
- Fresh red chilies 1, cut into rounds
- Green chilies 2, finely chopped
- Coriander powder 2 tsp
- Cumin powder 2 tsp
- Red chili powder 2 tsp
- Turmeric 2 tsp
- Dried mint 1 tsp
- Rinse and cut the eggplant into half about ¾ th of the way, without cutting it all the way to the top of the stem. On the open flame using tongs to turn over, roast the eggplant till charred on the outside and soft on the inside. This will take anywhere from 8-10 mins.
- Let it cool. Take the charred skin off the eggplant and mash the flesh. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Add half the chopped green chilies, sliced onions and grated garlic.
- Sauté till onion is translucent. Add chopped tomato. Sauté till the tomato cooks down and becomes mushy.
- Add roasted and mashed eggplant. Add salt, turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder and red chili powder. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add the red pepper, green pepper, yellow pepper, fresh red chilies. Let the mixture come together.
- Add dried mint. Top with the rest of the green chilies and fresh red chilies. Serve.
The smokiness in the dish comes from the eggplant cooked on the one flame or grill. You could bake it too but that smokiness will not be there.
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.