If you are a Bengali, bhapa doi is something you are most certainly familiar with. For the uninitiated, bhapa doi is like a mix of key lime pie, flan and a cheesecake. The yogurt makes the dish tangy but it is also very sweet. I love to use Greek yogurt in my cooking. It is heathy and is more dense in its texture and flavor which makes it intense in taste too. Straining the yogurt makes this dish even more creamy @sarchakra
COOK TIME: 45 mins
PREP TIME: 5 mins
YIELDS: Serves or makes 2
- Greek yogurt 1 cup
- Condensed milk 1 cup
- Milk ¼ cup
- Pistachios 3 tbsp
- Green cardamom 1 tsp, ground
- Rose water 1 tbsp
- Rose buds 1 tbsp
- Butter for greasing 1 tsp
- Keep the Greek yogurt in a muslin cloth for a few hours so that all the water drains out.
- Put the drained yogurt in a blender. Mix the condensed milk, rose water and ground cardamom in. Blend till smooth. Mix in half the pistachios. Stir.
- Take a couple of oven proof cups. Grease with butter.
- Pour the mixture into cups.
- Put the oven proof cups on a large tray. Fill the tray with water up to half the level of the cups. Make sure the water does not get into the cups.
- Cook in a preheated oven 170° C (338°F) for about 40 mins.
- Cool and refrigerate the bhapa doi a few hours before serving. Serve with the rest of the crushed pistachios and crushed rose buds.