Have you made butter at home? It is ridiculously easy to do and is ready in minutes. Your mixer does all the work and you practically get the credit! Pretty good, right? Once you actually make the butter, you can put any add ins, savory or sweet to take it to the next level. I have some suggestions in the Notes section, but there are many more combos you can do. Check out the recipe below @sarchakra
COOK TIME: 10 mins
PREP TIME: 5 mins
- Heavy whipping cream 2 cups
- Sea salt 2 tsp
- In a large bowl, pour in heavy whipping cream (see notes). Set your mixer to medium and start whipping.
- The different stages of the mixture will be soft, creamy, puffy and then the milk will separate from the fat turning the mixture sloshy. Keep going till the liquid separates into yellow, buttery solids.
- Strain out the liquid with a sieve. Don’t throw it out- it’s buttermilk! Pour some cold water on the butter and rinse it out. Continue this till the water runs clear.
- Press butter with the back of your ladle to squeeze out any remaining water. At this stage, mix in some sea salt. That’s it, fresh salted butter is ready.
When you start mixing, the cream has a tendency to splatter everywhere so put a paper plate on your hand mixer and then put the attachments on. That way all the craziness stays inside the bowl and does not adorn your kitchen or you!
You can use the delicious buttermilk to make crunchy chicken or cakes and cookies. Store in the fridge.
For a different flavor you can add honey to the butter for honey butter, some crushed black pepper, chipotle spice, red chili flakes or garlic grated. The choices are endless, so experiment with them. Happy cooking!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!