I’m starting the year with a healthy light soup, slightly thicker than a broth. I still had a couple of squash from the fall of last year that I grew in my backyard so this was a good way to use that. If you follow me on Instagram @sarchakra you know each of our family members have tested positive for Covid (even with the vaccines I must add) at different points in the last couple of weeks. The only person that seemed like was just about making it, also got a positive result a few days ago so it has not been fun to say the least. I did end up in the ER at one point when I was coughing too much and not being able to breathe properly and my husband (who never gets worried about ANYTHING) panicked and dragged me there in the middle of the night at around 1.30 am. However I am much better now although he and my son isn’t just yet. Fingers crossed, we all make it out safe and sound @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 20 mins
- Squash 3 cups, cubed
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Onion ½, chopped
- Garlic 2-3 cloves, chopped
- Black pepper 2 tsp
- Coconut milk or powder 2 tbsp (1 cup)
- Water 2 cups
- Heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for a minute till translucent.
- Add cubed squash. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add water and coconut powder or coconut milk. Cover and cook till done.
- Use a blender to blend into a smooth consistency. Bring the mixture back to a simmer. Turn the heat off.
- Serve the soup with some toasted bread or on its own.
If using coconut milk, reduce the amount of water to half.
For a vegan option, use coconut milk and cashew cream to thicken the soup.
This is intentionally a light soup. You could add cream to make it thicker but when you’re sick the last thing you need is a heavy meal. Serve this with some buttered or toasted bread and you will feel better, trust me!
If you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #sarchakra on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured!
FOLLOW SARCHAKRA ON FACEBOOK| INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER I TIKTOK FOR ALL OF THE LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND UPDATES.