This spicy shrimp appetizer is sure to please everyone. It is ready in minutes and tastes out of this world. Serve this as just an appetizer, on a salad, with cooked rice or with pasta-the choice is yours @sarchakra
PREP TIME:10 mins
COOK TIME: 10 mins
YIELDS: Serves or makes 3
- Large shrimp 1 lb (deveined and shelled with tails on)
- Canola oil 2 tbsp
- Sesame oil 1 tbsp plus for drizzle
- Fresh ginger root 1 tbsp, finely chopped
- Garlic cloves 5-6, finely chopped
- Brown sugar 3 tbsp
- Fish sauce 2 tsp
- Pepper 1 tsp
- Red pepper flakes 2 tsp
- Water ½ cup
- Sriracha 4 tbsp
- Mirin 2 tsp
- Soy sauce 2 tbsp
- Sesame seeds 1 tbsp, for garnish
- Spring onions 2 tbsp, for garnish
- Heat oil. Sauté shrimp for a few seconds till it turns pink. Keep aside.
- In the same pan heat sesame oil. Sauté garlic, ginger and chili flakes. Let the garlic fry golden.
- Add water, salt, pepper, sriracha, fish sauce, Mirin, brown sugar and soy sauce. Let it simmer till it becomes a syrup consistency.
- Add sautéd shrimp and coat with the sauce.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions. Drizzle sesame oil and serve.
I buy flash frozen shrimp from Sam’s Club or Target that comes from India. It is cleaned, deveined and the shells come right off. It has no added chemicals. I find shrimp from India is different in texture to the ones from Indonesia. I always use the ones from India in any shrimp recipe whether Indian or Western recipes for that authentic texture.