Baby Bella Mushrooms can be sautéed or eaten raw. They are low in fat and a great source of protein. They have absolutely no cholesterol. Apart from tasting delicious, baby portobello mushrooms have a ton of nutrients that can help support overall health. With vitamins and minerals like selenium, niacin and copper, baby Bella mushrooms are both healthy and appetizing. This recipe uses Indian spices to make this vegan, gluten free creamy recipe @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 20 mins
YIELDS: Serves or makes 5
- Baby Portabella Mushrooms 24 oz
- Tomatoes 2, cut into pieces
- Cashews 3 tbsp, broken
- Turmeric 1 tbsp
- Whole red chilies 3-4
- Peppercorns 2 tsp
- Cinnamon 1 inch
- Cardamom 2-4
- Cloves 3-4
- Coriander seeds 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 2 tsp plus 1 tbsp for tempering
- Nutmeg a pinch
- Mace a couple of strands
- Onion 1, chopped
- Ginger paste 2 tsp
- Garlic paste 2 tsp
- Vegetable oil 4, divided
- Kasuri methi (dried fenugreek) 2 tsp
- Coriander 1 tbsp, chopped/torn
- In a small pan dry roast the following on a low flame: cumin seeds, coriander seeds, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns, mace, nutmeg and whole red chilies. Let it turn aromatic. Take care not to burn anything. Turn the heat off. Cool. Grind the mixture into a masala. Keep aside.
- Wash mushrooms and pat them dry. Slice mushrooms into thin slices.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil. Sauté mushrooms till all the water dries out and it starts to get some color. Do not stir much as that releases more water and makes the mushroom watery and tough. When the mushrooms are slightly browned, remove from heat. Keep aside.
- In a large pan heat 2 tbsp of oil. Add in chopped onions. Let it turn translucent before adding ginger and garlic paste. Cook for a few seconds before adding tomatoes. Add in cashews.
- Add in turmeric powder, crushed cumin seeds and salt. Cook till the masala is softened. Cool. Make it into a paste in the blender. Keep aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil. Put the masala paste with 1/2 cup water. Cook for 5 mins till the oil floats.
- Add in sautéd mushrooms. Crush kasuri methi in the palm of your hands and add it to the mushrooms. Next add the dry masala powder. Adjust seasoning. Cook for a few more minutes till the gravy comes to the required consistency.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander. Serve with basmati rice or roti.