This is a simple, nutritious recipe made from leftover rice. Make it for a quick weeknight dinner or make a bigger portion for a crowd. Since the beans and rice are already cooked the dish is done in a jiffy. I used basmati rice here but any long grained rice will do. For a healthier option, use brown rice or other grains like farro, quinoa, barley, millet, buckwheat or amaranth @sarchakra
PREP TIME: 10 mins
COOK TIME: 10 mins
YIELDS: Serves or makes 3-4
- Goya Dark Kidney Beans 1 can (439 g)
- Cooked basmati rice 2 cups
- Hunt’s tomato paste 1 tbsp
- Red cabbage 1 cup, thinly sliced
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Garlic 1 tbsp, chopped
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric 2 tsp
- Cumin powder 2 tsp
- Black pepper 2 tsp
- Dill 2 tbsp, chopped
- Lime juice 1 tbsp
- Microwave cooked rice for 1 minute. Keep aside.
- Heat oil. Sauté sliced red cabbage. Season with salt and pepper. Cook till slightly caramelized but the crunch is still there. Remove.
- In the remaining oil sauté garlic. Drain the red kidney beans from the can. Discard the water and add the kidney beans to the pan. Add salt, turmeric and cumin powder. Let the beans heat through.
- Add the warm rice. Check and adjust seasoning. Mix in sautéd red cabbage.
- Sprinkle chopped dill.
- Add a generous squeeze of lime. Toss and serve.